Friday, February 17, 2006

Chinese Sponge Cake

We have moved our site to http://chowtimes.com

Let them eat cake! ~ Marie Antoinette

To the chinese, cakes are normally steamed rather than baked. Today, I steamed a very simple chinese sponge cake made primarily from eggs. Total time taken to prepare this cake is less than an hour with 25 minutes for steaming.

Here are the ingredients:

  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract (can substitute vanilla if desired)
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk (can substitute regular milk if desired)
  • 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Here are the directions:

The baking powder and flour are mixed together.
They are then sifted and set aside.
Mix the evaporated milk with the melted butter first. Then add the baking soda to it. Again, set it aside.
You will need four eggs. Crack it into a mixing bowl.
Beat the eggs.
Mix in the sugar and the almond extract. Make sure that the sugar is dissolved.
You then mix in the milk/baking soda/butter mixture to the eggs/sugar. Blend thoroughly using a whisk.
You gradually mix in the flour mixture and blend.
Whisk until smooth and completely blended.
Pour the mixture into a greased cake pan. I use a pie dish about 9-inch.
Bring the water to boil.
Place the cake into the pan with boiling water.
Cover and steam for 25-30 minutes. Use a toothpick to check when the cake is done.

Remove the cake from the pan and slice. Best served when warm. Enjoy!

5 Comments:

At 2/19/2006 08:45:00 PM, Blogger Rosa said...

I've never steamed a cake before. I'm definately going to try this. Thanks!!

 
At 2/19/2006 09:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me know how yours turn out, Rosa.

 
At 2/20/2006 07:29:00 PM, Blogger Rosa said...

I made it Suanne. This is soooo good!! I put it up on my blog, take a look. Thank you.

 
At 2/20/2006 07:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rosa:
Glad you like it. We enjoyed your blog, especially on the sponge cake. You know what? The next time I make Malaysian or Asian desserts, I'll alert you. I got a few ideas that I think you will like.
Suanne

 
At 2/20/2006 08:50:00 PM, Blogger Rosa said...

I can't wait!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home