Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Grand Pacific Buffet in New Westminster

We have moved our site to http://chowtimes.com

"I heard" is good; "I saw" is better; "I tasted" is best. ~ Ben Yap The chinese employees at my workplace organized a Chinese New Year lunch celebration today. We do that every year. This year, they have graciously invited Suanne too for the lunch because they wanted to also make this a farewell lunch for me. For the first time, the organizer decided that we go to a buffet for a change. We went to the Grand Pacific Buffet in New Westminster. The Grand Pacific Buffet is a buffet with Western, Chinese and Japanese food with predominantly chinese food.

There were a lot of varieties. The food is so-so but then it's not fair to compare buffets to the normal restaurants. I was wary of MSG with the tell-tale thirstiness after the meal but nope, it was not at all. Suanne and I went for two full rounds and ended up sharing the dessert. The photos below does not tell much but anyway, these are our second round plates. It's about $8 for a weekday lunch.

Good food goes best with good company. These people are not co-workers but has been friends to me for a long time. I was always the odd one out with this group because I do not understand their brand of Mandarin. It does not matter, as long as the food is good -- they are the SME's (Best Buy's overused term for Subject Matter Experts) in Chinese food around Burnaby.

I have worked directly and indirectly with most of them on some of my projects. They are all awesome and great to have them in the team. I must say that one of the primary reasons that many of my projects were successful were because of these people. I will miss being around the office with them.

We raised our cups but I didn't know what they were toasting (remember, I don't understand their brand of Mandarin or for that matter, any brand of Mandarin?). But to me, my toast is for a great chinese new year ahead, success in their careers and may all their dearest dreams come true. Best friends deserve the best wishes!

So, here we are -- Ben and Suanne smilling from ear to ear. It's because we did not have to pay! Thanks buddies, for the treat. Oh ... remember to invite me for the chinese new year lunch next year ... this time I'll pay ... for my own, not everyone's!

I'm bringing Dilly Bars for everyone tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home