Thursday, January 12, 2006

Spicy Pulled Pork Bun

We have moved our site to http://chowtimes.com

The four food groups: Fast, Frozen, Instant, and Chocolate. ~ ahajokes.com OK, OK ... I know, I know, I know ... it's another PORK dish! Sorry-lah bruder! Before you pass any judgement, just take a look at it ... mouth-watering, right? Well, it's another of Suanne's fave. It's a bun filled with spicy pulled pork.

Suanne uses a bread-machine to prepare the dough. It takes two hours for the bread-machine to prepare the dough -- that includes rising time. I guess you could also manually knead it but it won't be easy. Suanne knows of people who uses food processor or standing mixer to prepare the dough.

It is easy using the bread-machine because you just dump all the ingredients into the pan and set it to dough-cycle. The mixing, kneading and rising process is all done in the machine. You just got to wait for two hours. Ingredients includes milk, egg, flour, sugar, margarine, salt and yeast.

At the end of the two hours, you get a nicely risen dough ... all ready for the filling steps. The dough is enough to make twelve buns.

The dough is divided into twelve pieces. Each piece is flatten with the palm and then rolled into 3 inch circles. Put in the filling and then fold and crimp the edges tightly. Of course you may substitute the pulled pork filling with other fillings such as char siew, lotus paste, kaya and others.

Line a piece of parchment on the baking pan. Arrange the prepare buns two inches apart. This is because you will need to let the buns rise for a further 40 minutes.

After allowing the bun to rise for 40 minutes, you will then brush the bun with egg wash (basically egg yolks plus water). This will make the bun looks brown, shiny and delicious.

It is now ready for baking. Preheat the oven to 350C before you put in the baking pan. The baking process will take just 10 minutes. Here is the before and after shot.

To the ladies in Richmond, if you want to make this together, call me (Suanne, not Ben) and we can make the buns together. He he he ... I will also include your pictures in my food blog ... sounds good?

Cheers! I promise, chicken next week! :-)

The Yap-O-Meter Rating:

  • äääää Marcus
  • äääää Norman
  • äääää Ben
  • äääää Suanne (Self)

3 Comments:

At 1/13/2006 09:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures in your blog really makes it come alive. The spicy pulled pork buns look delicious. Be sure to save some for me when you make the next batch. I love eating, but I dislike cooking because it takes so much time and cleaning up afterwards. Maybe I should drop by your house during dinner time?

 
At 1/19/2006 09:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suanne, I must say that the Siew Pau looks very mouth-watering, certainly more tempting than the Seremban Siew Pau, the Char Siew Pau and the Sarng Yook Pau.

I wonder why Ben still looks so fit?? Should have been a 200-pounder by now with all the delicious stuff....

 
At 1/19/2006 07:07:00 PM, Blogger Bloody Caesar said...

Oh yeah I remember the Seremban Siew Pau. We love it a lot and bought a lot of it at one go. He he he ... I suggested to Suanne to research this and she got mad at me ... I mean, what did I do wrong? :-)

However ... Suanne makes a first class char siew pau. Once she cools down, I will try to manja-manja her to make it for the blog. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home