Friday, January 06, 2006

Steamboat

We have moved our site to http://chowtimes.com

Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are. ~ Anthelme Brillat-Savarin (1755 - 1826) ~ French gourmet & lawyer Suanne's favourite show ... oh, I mean to say, Suanne's OTHER favourite show is the Iron Chef. She roots for Iron Chef Chinese Chen Kenichi. The Iron Chef show always starts with the above quote. So, with the words "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are", here is Suanne's first presentation. Suanne prepared a steamboat (better known as Hot Pot in Canada) for our January 1st, 2006 dinner. Her thoughts is only with Marcus and Norman and prepared what they like best (meatballs!). Here are the stuff she prepared for the pot: Marinated thinly sliced pork. Suanne says that her marinate is very complicated and cannot be described on the internet.

This is Norman and Marcus' favourites consisting of artificial crab stick, fish balls and pork balls:

This one is for the resident daddy: fried tofu puff (tofu pok?) and inoki mushrooms.

Then we have the staples: Suey Choy, and Vermicelli

The most important part of a great hot pot is the sauce. Suanne used the Bull Head BBQ Sauce mixed with Soya Sauce and some chilli sauce. Also some parsley and ginger. Here is how it looks like:

We use one of those divided pots that people used to prepare two separate types of broth. Suanne bought some "buatan Malaysia" Tom Yam powder but it was not really good (no taste at all). I mean, tom yam are meant to be really spicy right?

Lepas itu, appoint a very patient flame watcher:

And finally ... Ta da!!

Enjoy!

6 Comments:

At 1/06/2006 06:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am jealously hungry. 'Tau fu pok' is my fave. Could you prepare the same when I go over to Vancouver???

 
At 1/06/2006 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Bloody Caesar said...

For sure ... for you, we will make a bigger feast! I love the tofu-pok, especially with bah kut teh. He he he ... I'll send a request to Suanne to make bah kut teh next week.

 
At 1/06/2006 09:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see you have a very cute flame watcher. My flame watcher is not old enough for her duties yet so can I borrow yours for a day?
-- Rajiv

 
At 1/06/2006 10:02:00 PM, Blogger Bloody Caesar said...

Oh, I don't know. I got to ask the resident flame watcher! How are you guys doing? Still staying at the same place or have you moved?

 
At 1/08/2006 02:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This steamboat looks great and very tasty. So is Suanne the Steamboat making queen? Looks like lots of work with the prep.
Rima & Paul

 
At 1/08/2006 07:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ben,
Yes we're in the same place. I don't see you online any more? Is your hotmail email address the same?
-Rajiv

 

Post a Comment

<< Home